[o183fe]

Vesak Day today. The first vesak day I had such a memorable experience from. Firstly, woke up at 8.15am and had vegetarian beehoon for breakfast. (my mom only had to knock on my door and I was awake) Then bathed and changed and left home only to realise that I forgot to bring my phone on the 2nd storey. Then too bad, too lazy to walk up so I just didn't bother about it. Got a taxi almost immediately and went to this temple in TelokBlangah. (I'm not Buddhist, my family just happens to be one) Okay, so we reached the temple, saw kingfishes standing on the antennas on the roof. Then saw many cats and kittens in the temple too, so cute. Then this uncle whom we know taught me and my sis on what to do, like placing which joss-sticks first and stuff. Okay, so after completing that, my aunties and uncles arrived. At 10am, we began the chanting of the Great Compassion Mantra. Mind you, not once or twice or 10 times. It's 108 times. Yea, supposedly people can choose to chant it thrice, 7times, 9times or 108 times and we chose the last option. As I said, I'm no Buddhist and of course do not know the chant save for the first 4 words. I was standing in the temple with my palms in prayer position and sweating buckets. The morning was hot and it didn't help that there was only a tiny fan in the temple that wasn't even in our direction. After standing there for 20repetitions of the chant, I went outside into the much cooler air. It was already about 40min for that 20 repetitions, so you can imagine how long 108 repetitions would take. Anyway, they were supposed to chant for 54 first and after a break complete the 2nd half. So there were a few keetongs in our group. I think there were two for GuanYin and I dunno who else. Those were the power voices in our group. Most of us had to take breaks during the 54 but the pro-sters just stood there for the whole 54 repetitions. After this 54, we had lunch and ice-cold drinks before starting the 2nd session. This time, they told us to sit down and chant. And you know what, by this time I already knew most words of the chant and was chanting most of the rest of the 54 without ever leaving. But of course there's the leg-numbing part where I had to stretch out my legs if not I'll not be able to stand up when it's over. But well, since we are repeating the same thing for 54 times, it got monotonous and I was dozing off a few times before I shook my head vigorously to wake myself up. Yea, my fault here. These chants are supposed to help the spirits and also to gain merits for my beloved grandmother and joey the dog. But hey, it's my first time ever chanting this mantra okay? Then after that we took all 108 lotus candles we prepared to Sembawang beach to set free. These candles are to lead lost souls to the other world. I took the lorry and boy, was it fun. Some people were talking about who was doing what during the chants and they were very amusing. (we know all the people in the group) The temple lady was really grateful that we went there and chanted 108 times. My lorry ride was fun considering it was drizzling at that time and I was holding this trash bag like a parachute shelter, the flapping of the plastic in the wind almost deafening. It was super funny to see how one of them tried to light a cigarette while hiding in the trash bag from the wind, which she failed to do so. When we arrived, lots of people were watching. I mean, so many people crowded around to block out the wind looked weird from afar right? Some kaypohs even walked up and stood behind us to watch. We lighted the candles and the men brought it out to the sea to release. But it wasn't far out enough as the tide kept washing it in. Then my second uncle swam out a distance with a tray of the candles and thankfully, it stayed out. Fast foward to after a rest at the coffeeshop and at Lot1. Went KFC despite my sister having a cough and guess who I saw? Euan and YingCong and someone else. Hahahaha. Such coincidence. By this time my voice was a little hoarse from the chanting and really feeling exhausted. Went home for a shower, then went to ShengSiong to meet my aunties and uncles and cousins for Plan SS. (shengsiong) Bought our favourite seaweed berblahz and went home. Fell asleep before conz even msged back for me to call her. Haha.

Comments