[o351fe]

Here's another update! Had a rather eventful and exciting weekend so this entry will be quite long so if you don't have time, then I suggest you leave it for another day.

As usual, I went to redhill and stayed over. That night, we decided to go to the new Old Airport Road food centre for supper. I haven't been there for years, since my paternal grandparents moved to tampines. I remember there was no lift in the block and we had to climb the stairs to the 6th storey. Then there were those hole-y bricks in the wall. Super ancient. The house had a row of windows, which were a chore to close whenever it rained. Oh well, back to talking about food. :] We ordered barbequed fish even before we sat down. Then after we found a seat, my mom went to order drinks, my aunt: satay, my cousin: rojak and fried prawn noodles. Me and my sis? We just sat there to chop the seat. When the food came... EAT! I loved the bbq fish. Haven't tasted such nice bbq fish in a long time. The meat was very tasty; the marination soaked the fish well in flavour. No fishy taste, it was rather fresh. The only complaint I have is that the chilli is not sharp enough on the tastebuds. The tangy element is lacking. Finished our food, and we realised the importance of bringing a pack of tissue paper whenever we go out. Our hands were a little oily from the satay sticks and our mouths stained slightly by the chilli. So my aunt turned to me and said, "Eh, use this." She pointed to the cup of sugarcane juice and proceeded to wipe her hands on the water droplets which had formed from condensation. Then, she quickly used her wet fingers to dab her lips clean. After which she gave me a cheeky smile and gave a little laugh. Hahaha, her actions were so funny. Somehow, seeing an adult behave in such a sneaky way just seems so hilarious.

After supper, we were back in my cousin's car and suddenly my cousin asked, "You all want to go geylang see? There also got alot of food to eat." Then my mom said,
"Geylang not the red-light district meh?" I laughed.
"No la..there alot of good food one. The chickens are on the other side."
"Oh. The frogs' legs porridge ah?"
"Ya, ya, ya," replied my cousin and he began driving there. We drove past the numerous durian stalls still having their bright lights on, all selling their own store of the luscious king of fruits. Then my mom suddenly recalled that she had been here before, many years ago, with my uncle and aunts buying durians too. Then my cousin said, "I bring you all go see the 'other side', want?" We said okay and my mom was saying like how old she is and only getting to see this sort of things now. So my cousin made a few turns and viola! We were in whores-galore. All around in the alleys and back roads were women selling themselves. They were just standing around looking pretty, half hidden behind the cars parked on the roadside. Some of them really look so beautiful. Some were so young, some looked so innocent, and then there were the rest who just totally cannot make it. The transvestites have bigger boobs than mine. Some just wore a bra top, some tops with super plungng necklines and some dressed like it was their turn to sing next on the getai. Obviously, these women were not standing around alone. There were plenty of ah peks and banglas and simply, men of all ages mingling around with the women and checking them out. It really was a men type shopping. Do window shopping first, walk around to compare prices, then settle on buying. If no money, then window shopping will do. I felt kind of disgusted and at the same time, awed by the whole scene. There were so many people. Even more than the number of people on Orchard Road on a weekend. Can you imagine? Ugh. It's kinda like, why are these girls cheapening themselves? Or what have they done to deserve this? Because I know there definitely would be cases whereby the women were cheated and exploited such that they have no choice but to be prostitutes. Saddening. In one of the alleys, we suddenly saw the people sort of begin rushing out, we guessed there was a police raid or something. Don't know. Overall, it was such an eye-opener to see this other side of Singapore. Makes me feel that clubs are so much safer and sane man..

Sunday morning. Redhill had this mass birthday celebration thing cum national day celebration. July and august babies were gathered onstage to sing a birthday song. The guest of honour was our Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. I managed to see him from a close distance, and honestly, I don't feel any profound respect or awe to see an important figure in person. My mom, on the other hand, was oohing and aahing about how tall he is and whatever. She was also trailing in his path like some lost puppy. The only thought in my head was...(-.-') Those people were mostly doing the same, trailing behind him. I really have no idea why they do that. Probably something that happens with age?

Fast forward to taking the DuckTours with jason and his family. Quite disappointed to find that the duck whistle is not a freebie for all Duckies but a souvenir that can be purchased at the counter for $3.50. So not worth it. So never mind, we went on the tour. Again, the tour was quite a new experience. For some time, it was always me on the Kallang Basin watching the DuckTours splashing in and out of the water and having the tourists wave at me and take pictures. Because I used to train there for canoeing. Today, I looked out at the dragonboaters. For once, I saw the people on land (or water, for the dragonboaters) wave at us. We were also taking pictures of the landmarks. I guess the most interesting landmark was the Merlion, where tourists were taking pictures of us and we were taking pictures of them! When we went back onshore, we saw a biker with a kid. Surprise, surprise! That biker is the infamous Steve Chia. So, I saw 2 famous personalities in one day. (!) At the end of the tour, the guide posed a few questions about the landmarks we visited. The first one she asked was how tall the Singapore Flyer is. Obviously the rest of the people didn't really listen, because there was quite a long silence before someone answered: 179m. Hee.. then I got it correct! And the prize was that duckie whistle! So happy! So in the end I still got what I wanted! Anyway that whistle was meant for my sis so it's now with her.. haha.

Comments