[o427fe]

I sometimes really hate it that I was born in this family.

We're not poor, but we're not rich either. I guess we still get by, with both my parents working. But we can't afford much luxuries.

The vehicles my family owns are bicycles and motorbikes. I guess we can combine 2 bikes together to get 4 wheels, if that is of any use.

Living the life I lead, almost everyone around me has a car in the family.

I don't take cabs to school. I've NEVER taken a cab to school, come to think of it. Cabbed home maybe once or twice?

If I didn't have Jason, I would be taking the bus home everyday too. (not that I'm with him just because he has a car to drive)

Times when I have to carry such a heavy bag and so many things, I either wish it wouldn't look weird to drag a luggage around or that I had some kind of personal transport. Dump everything in and go. No need to squeeze with people on the bus and knock people out of the way with the things I'm carrying. No need to weigh which is heavier, my bag or laptop, to decide which one to put first on my lap. No need to worry about creases on my thighs from the bag or the laptop case when I alight from the bus. I often have two red lines on my thighs after I alight. Wear jeans? Try walking around in jeans in the rainy season. You'll have mould growing around your ankles soon enough.

And when I stay in school until the wee hours, I cannot always count on Jason being there to wait for me and then send me home. So the bus it is. One hour's journey. Mrt? Wonderful. Take bus from school, transfer to mrt, transfer at jurong east, walk home from cck station. (Unless I choose to take 1 stop's worth of bus journey, cost: 63 cents) And in the end I still take an hour to reach home. I don't even live that far.

Cab home? I wish I had the allowance to do that.

And people can still complain to me about public transport. I have to wait for the stupid bus every morning.

My parents told me not let Jason drive me home too much. Do I really have a choice? They never think of how tired their daughter might be, leaving the house before they do and coming back way after they've gone to sleep.

Seriously. I wonder why I deserve to be born in this family sometimes. Why do we need to suffer because of the choices my dad made?

Why did I need to help him save money since I was young, going to the toilet without light in the night, eating the cheapest flavour for anything? I once even had to beg him for sometime before he bought a $3.90 few hundred pages storybook for me. It wasn't even some novelty storybook like what kids have these days. I got scolded for even talking about a portable tv to my aunt. I got caned because my uncle said I could have the brick game console. He bought me jumbo words The Magic Porridge Pot storybook when I was already in pri4. I was a voracious reader even since pri1 and he doesn't know that.

When he bummed around the house after resigning from job after job complaining that the other colleagues are too proud or selfish or lazy or whatever, he had to get a scolding from his then secondary school age daughter. And what did he say? "What I earn I spend on myself. It's my money."

Seriously. Life just isn't fair.

Comments